Dear SJA Parents,
Happy Graduation weekend! Today was the last day for our preschool, junior kindergarten, and 8th grade students. We are particularly proud of 8th grade students and all their accomplishments. They have worked hard and demonstrated tremendous success both inside and outside the classroom. We will be celebrating our students tonight and toasting to a wonderful year at the graduation banquet.
The students will graduate on Saturday, June 2 and go on to attend a variety of schools including Evanston Township, Loyola Academy, Niles North, Woodlands Academy, Notre Dame College Prep, and Regina Dominican College Prep. Way to go class of 2018! We will miss you.
Mr. Scanlon update
Dear SJA Community,
After much prayer, thought, and reflection, I decided that I will not be returning to St. Joan of Arc School for the 2018-19 school year. I have truly enjoyed my time during my 3 year tenure. However, God is calling me to pursue new opportunities. This community has supported me throughout some of the most challenging and life-giving moments I have experienced thus far. I cannot thank you enough for the kindness you have shown me. That is what truly makes this community so special!
During my first days at SJA, I was immediately impressed by the school’s culture and the dedication shown by everyone. I appreciated people’s willingness to jump in to help out. From the parents to teachers, we worked together to support one another in pursuit of what was best for the students. My passion is people and that will never change. I didn’t come to school everyday to check tasks off my to-do list, I came for the people and what we were building together. If I have realized anything from this experience, it is that leadership matters, people matter, and how you treat them is everything.
I am reminded of the beautiful Sharon Girard plagues hanging around the school that state “Children are such a great way to start people.” We work every day with God’s most precious gift and have the opportunity to influence them in such a profound way as they grow into the young adults, and eventually the adults, God created them to be. They deserve immeasurable love, care, and compassion. I hope that my short legacy at this school will be one of just that, immeasurable love, care, and compassion. For I am reminded every day that God is love.
Thank you for all your support and prayers as I make this transition. The parents, teachers, students, and staff of SJA have brought so much joy into my life and for that I am beyond grateful.
At this point, I am unsure what the future will hold for me, but I do know St. Joan of Arc will hold a special place in my heart.
Check out the video from Kindergarten graduation. Congrats to our students in Mrs. Hendrick’s class as they take their next step into first grade.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/OxU5CfpwiZs” frameborder=”0″ allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen></iframe>
Galileo Summer Camp
Galileo has scholarships available!
This year Camp Galileo will be at St Joan of Arc. We want to make sure that all families can innovate and experience camp this summer, and we’re offering Financial Aid scholarships. We award thousands of weeks of specially priced summer camp through our financial assistance program every year. In 2017, we awarded over 4,800 financial assistance scholarships to families and want to increase our impact in 2018.
How to Apply:
• Fill out an application on our website (https://www.galileo-camps.com/financial-aid-overview).
• If you receive assistance, follow the details in your letter to enroll ASAP.
• Submit one application for each child applying.
• All recipients will be awarded one session of camp with extended care, if needed. You may be approved to attend several weeks.
• We try our best to honor your preferences, but can’t always guarantee first choice locations, session dates, majors or classes.
2018-19 Calendar Update
Please note the calendar dates below for the upcoming school year. These have also been posted to the school’s homepage and will be reflected on the electronic calendar in the near future.
St. Joan of Arc School
Calendar Dates: 2018-2019
- Teachers return for Professional Development: Tuesday, August 15th
- First Day of School (K-8): Monday, August 20, 2018 (Full Day)
- First Day of preschool/junior kindergarten: Monday, August 27th
- Labor Day: Monday, September 3rd (No School)
- Columbus Day: Monday, October 8th (No School)
- Springfield Trip: Tuesday, October 2nd
- First Trimester Parent-Teacher conferences: Thursday, November 8th (half day – 12:00 dismissal) – Friday, November 9th (No School)
- Thanksgiving Break: Wednesday, November 21st (1:30 dismissal) – Friday, November 23rd
- Christmas Break: Monday, December 24th – Friday, January 4th
- School Resumes: Monday, January 7th, 2019
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Monday, January 21st (No School)
- Catholic Schools Week 2019: Sunday, January 27th- Friday, February 1st
- Teacher Inservice Day: Friday, February 15, 2019 (No School)
- President’s Day: Monday, February 18th (No School)
- Second Trimester Parent-Teacher conferences: Friday, March 15th (12:00 dismissal)
- Spring Break: Monday, March 25th – Friday, March 29th
- School Resumes: Monday, April 1st
- Easter Extended Weekend: Friday, April 19th – Wednesday, April 24th (School Resumes April 25th)
- Teacher Inservice Day: Friday, May 24th (No School)
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 27th (No School)
- 8th Grade Graduation Banquet: Thursday, May 30th
- 8th Grade Graduation: Saturday, June 1st
- Last Day of School: Friday, June 7th (1:30 dismissal)
Prayer for others across the world
O Faithful God,
We ask you to guide us in our time of transition. We need your wisdom, that we might be receptive to change, conversion, and growth. We need your grace to redirect our hearts so we may be willing to offer ourselves in joyful service. Do not allow fear, ignorance, or pride to limit the work of your Spirit.